Welcome to Ireland
Oh, bonny Ireland. We visited for the months of July and August in 2011 and traveled to many of its beautiful corners. And the funny thing is, we didn’t appreciate it fully until after we left. It wasn’t until we explored more of Europe that we realized how truly special and unique the Emerald Isle is. It is elevated in our minds as a place we could even see ourselves settling down in one day (if that ever happens)!
Posts on Ireland…
- Our first day in the country and we stumbled upon the Dublin Pride Parade. A perfect example of being in the right place at the right time.
- Our further exploration of Dublin was hampered by two ailments: Dalene’s bum leg and Pete’s bad sight. But we did the best we could!
- We tried couchsurfing for the very first time in Dublin, and loved it!
- Near Dublin is Guiness Lake, whose dark brown color and white sandy shore make it resemble Ireland’s most famous brew.
- Guiness Lake can be found in County Wicklow amidst the mountains, and our road trip there cured what ailed us.
- This city confused us with all of its one-way streets, but we made our way, and also quite enjoyed ourselves!
House-sitting in County Meath
- We had the pleasure of taking care of a manor that dates back to the 10th century. Take a tour of both inside and the outside!
- We fortunately found ourselves near the small town of Trim, which is off the tourist path and quite beautiful.
- Our neighbor graciously led us on a tour of some lesser known sites in the county, making us feel like ‘secret agent tourists’.
- One of our favorite stories from Ireland, about a man and his roses.
- The Clonmacnoise ruins are beautiful, but it was just one ruin too many.
Cashel and Cahir
- Two of our favorite spots for Irish ruins, all in one post.
Cliffs of Moher
- Who needs ‘em? We found the Cliffs of Heck.
- In our opinion, this county has the most beautiful scenery in the whole country.
Ring of Kerry
- Another of our favorite stops in Ireland, but we wonder: will you have as good a time as we did?
- Have some burning questions about the Emerald Isle? So did we, so we hit up some experts before our arrival.
- Do you wonder what “Craic” is? We found out firsthand.
- In which we discover that hurling is to Ireland what hockey is to Canada.
- A music festival at a castle led to a very interesting weekend!
- Taste-testing the famous beer and whisky of Ireland.
- Our venture into cooking Irish foods on our own.
- Our final post, a wrap-up with our favorite pictures.
- Pete displays his photographic evolution through a photography workshop in the Emerald Isle.