Welcome to Slovenia
We have had the great fortune to visit Slovenia twice. The first time we visited for four short days in November 2011, we were absolutely captivated by the friendliness and acceptance of the small community of people we met. And when they invited us to return for a whole month in July 2012, we eagerly accepted. We were excited to see more of the gorgeous country, as well as to feel it out as a potential place to settle down. While the jury is still out on whether or not Slovenia will become our “home” in the future, it is always in the backs of our minds as a highly memorable place.
Posts on Slovenia…
- The capital city had us gasping in amazement at our first visit, and, even brought Dalene to tears.
- There are few cities as enchanting as Ljubljana at night.
- A marked path runs along the outside of the city as a poignant WWII memorial.
- Pete wanted to explore the city in a new way, and developed his own Tour de Ljubljana.
A Sports Haven
- And why, you may ask, would we consider living here? This is why. Although there are some stumbling blocks in our way that might surprise you.
- Oh, and they also love hockey. Which is great for us Canadians!
- In which we try canyoning. And it was a much scarier adventure than we’d originally thought!
- We had to give Slovenia’s most popular tourist attraction two attempts to wow us. On our first visit, we could barely see a thing. We were glad to have given it a second chance though.
- Dalene is not a big fan of exploring caves. But these ones put her a little more at ease, thanks to their amusement park feel.
- There is a good reason why Slovenia feels so comfortable, like home.
- One wonderful thing about the Slovenians? They are a spontaneous bunch!
- Dalene found solace and dealt with grief on a hike near Lake Bohinj.
- Our last post from Slovenia (for now!), a collection of our favorite photos made into postcards.